As an OVP Analyst, you will be integrally involved in all aspects of OVP and will be provided a front row seat to one of the top performing venture funds in the U.S.; the role includes spending time with the leading entrepreneurs in the region, reviewing their business plans, hearing their pitches, and watching the investment process in action.
Osage Venture Partners (OVP) is a premier venture capital fund based just outside of Philadelphia that invests in early-stage business-to-business (B2B) software companies located in the Eastern U.S. With well over $250M under management, OVP seeks to invest in business builders with deep domain expertise with whom we can “go the distance with” and provide the entrepreneurs with the assistance required to build high growth businesses. OVP is in the process of closing the fundraise for its fifth fund and is actively making new investments in some of the most exciting tech startups in the Eastern U.S., including, but not limited to, Dina (AI-powered care coordination), Malbek (next generation contract lifecycle management platform), BoodleAI (predictive analytics platform), and Refraction AI (robotic last-mile delivery vehicles).
OVP has enjoyed much success since its debut fund in 2005, funding more than 50 companies across a range of sectors, including cloud, security, analytics, education technology, healthcare IT, and enterprise mobile. Notable investments include InstaMed (healthcare payments network, acquired by JPMorgan Chase), SevOne (network performance management, majority acquired by Bain), VividCortex (database performance monitoring solution, acquired by SolarWinds), and GoCanvas (enterprise mobile solutions, acquired by K1 Investment Management).
Analyst Role Overview
As an OVP Analyst, you will be integrally involved in all aspects of OVP and will be provided a front row seat to one of the top performing venture funds in the U.S.; the role includes spending time with the leading entrepreneurs in the region, reviewing their business plans, hearing their pitches, and watching the investment process in action. As part of a dynamic, 10-person team, you will make significant contributions to the investment process and have the opportunity to work closely with and be mentored by seasoned professionals in a collaborative, challenging, and intellectually stimulating environment.
- Screen business plans and participate in calls and meetings with potential investments. Each year we evaluate over 1,000 companies and have calls and/or meetings with over 400 of them; the Analyst will attend many of these interactions and document the key discussion points and next steps.
- Perform market research on potential investments. Typical due diligence activities include determining market size, analyzing the competitive landscape, and identifying comparable transactions. Synthesize research findings into written reports and present takeaways to the partnership.
- Perform financial analysis of our portfolio companies and potential investments. Analyze historical financial statements, build and review financial models, and compile and analyze our portfolio’s quarterly revenue numbers.
- Investigate potential areas of investment focus for our fund. Previous Analysts have researched sectors such as artificial intelligence (AI)/machine learning (ML), autonomous vehicles, cloud, data security, low-code/no-code applications, robotic process automation (RPA), remote work and the future work, etc.
- Network and represent us at venture conferences and industry events (albeit virtual for the moment). Build relationships with entrepreneurs and other key members of the startup ecosystem (e.g. other analysts, investors, lawyers, etc.).
- Perform initial screening calls with CEOs and entrepreneurs. Track your own pipeline of investment opportunities and recommend the best-fit companies to the senior investment team.
- Manage our pipeline of investment opportunities using Salesforce.com and email tracking software. Manage our deal flow pipeline and prepare reports for our weekly internal meetings where we discuss and evaluate investment opportunities.
- Support the fund generally, including, but not limited to constructing marketing and quarterly reports.
Ideal Candidate Profile
- Track record of academic excellence in engineering, applied sciences, business and/or liberal arts
- Demonstrated ability to perform well academically while balancing time with other major commitments – job, athletics, school paper, club leadership, etc.
- Relevant work/internship experience with strategy consulting, a startup, investment banking, PE/VC, or within a large enterprise (preferred, but not required)
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated and highly productive in independent work
- Intellectually curious and energized by an environment of continuous learning
- Strong relationship management skills
- Works well in a team
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to balance several projects at once
- Strong work ethic and grit
- Strong Microsoft skills (Excel, PowerPoint, and Word) a plus
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Competitive salary
- Benefits include attractive healthcare, 401k with match, three weeks personal time off, 11 holidays per year
- This is a non-partner track role. We expect you to be part of the OVP team for 2-3 years at which point you will pursue the next phase of your career. Likely next phases can include, but are not limited to, business school or a role at a startup. With the latter, there will likely be opportunities to pursue a role at an OVP portfolio company as former OVP Analysts have done in the past.
If you are interested in applying to the Analyst role, the following outlines our application process:
Step 1 (Application): Submit a cover letter and resume (as one document in PDF format) no later than Wednesday, April 7, 2021. In your cover letter, please write no more than five sentences explaining why you are interested in the opportunity and why you believe you will excel in the role. Email and address your cover letter to Emily Foote, Principal at OVP (email@example.com). The OVP team will review all applications and invite a subset of the applicants to participate in the first round of interviews.
Step 2 (Pre-Recorded Interview Responses): Submit short video responses to questions asked by different members of the OVP Team. The OVP team will review all video responses and invite a subset of the applicants to participate in the second round interview, a short 15-minute phone interview. All invitations to the second round interview will be sent by Friday, April 16th.
Step 3 (Phone Interview): Candidates who progress beyond the first interview round, will engage in a short, 15-minute phone interview with a two to three team members from the OVP team. All phone interviews will be scheduled before Wednesday, April 21st.
Step 4 (Project and Zoom Interviews): Candidates who make it to the third and final round, will be notified no later than Monday, April 26th and given a case study of an actual investment opportunity we recently considered to review. Candidates will share their review of the case study during the Zoom interviews as well as meet various team members of the OVP Team. All interviews will be scheduled during the week of May 3rd. Final decisions will be made the week of May 10th. All candidates will be notified of our final decision by Friday, May 14th.
The Analyst role will start at a to be determined time between June and August depending on the Analyst’s preference and schedule.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out. Emily Foote is managing the Analyst hiring process. Please reach out to her with any questions or inquiries at firstname.lastname@example.org.